Skip to main content

#2 How did I get into running?

As some of you already expected, my first post will be about running! First and foremost, let me tell you how did I get into running at the first place. 

My first ever Half Marathon medal!
Last year as I started to make sports as a part of my routine (after 2 years of co-ass/clinical student drained all my spirit and made me munch more frequently than ever!), I became more intrigued to try different kinds of sports. Running came up to my mind because I always flunked at running. Then, randomly I decided to challenge myself to run a race; at least a 5k race, in 2017. 

Define flunked?
During every run, I always came the last (even until now when I am running with my group) and I couldn't even finish a run without walking! 

In high school I had to run every Friday morning and I often skipped it by coming just in time for the first class to start and wearing the Friday uniform with pink pashmina (most of my friends still remembered it!). Even when I ran, most of the time I walked with my friends at the back because I was too exhausted to run the 3-km course!

I also had to do a long run twice (a 17-km course, which l later found out it was a 12-km route), but we ran with a rather slow pace (pace 11-12) with 2 months of training. I survived that one, but I guess that was because of the training and the adrenaline (we chanted our high school anthems during the run)

For every competitive sports that I joined, including cheerleading, running was included in one of the warm-up sessions. We had to run in laps, around 3-5 laps, and I felt exhausted afterwards! To sum up, I was really a bad runner and I couldn't run without feeling tired or exhausted! 

I decided to join the Maybank Bali Marathon (MBM) because I believe it is the most sough-after marathon in Indonesia and as an excuse to travel to Bali. At first I wanted to sign up for the 10k race, but one of my friends convinced me to sign up for the Half Marathon (HM) race (13.1 miles or 21.1 km) instead! I was reluctant at first, but seeing that my other friends at the group signed up for either a HM or FM race and after convincing myself that I used to run a 17-km course twice....I decided to sign up for my first HM. Boom! Here started my running journey! 

Funny story: 
The MBM registration opened at midnight and my friend told me that the slots sold out very fast so I had to stand by at midnight to secure my slot. I had to sleep early because I had my 12-hour ER (Emergency Room) shift the next morning so I gave my registration details to my friend in case my alarm failed to wake me up. I woke up at 3 am after snoozing my alarm and quickly signed up through their website. Without any difficulties, I completed my first HM registration in a whim. When I told my friend that I succeeded, she said that she had to wait 3 hours (from 12 am to 3 am) because the server was down. 

All in all, I believe it was a sign from God that I had MBM as my first ever HM and everything about running started off from the day that I signed up for MBM. Everything in MBM when smoothly and I also felt that the universe conspired against my journey in MBM (#blessed). I am super grateful for this opportunity and this is one of the best decisions that I made in 2017!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#1 Intro

Hi!  Welcome (again) to my blog! I finally decided to make a new blog specifically designed to share things that people often asked me, which are sports, health, and beauty!  As the name implied, this blog will revolve around fun, fabulous, and fit things that I experienced in my life, well, mostly about sports, health, beauty, traveling, or anything interesting that I am currently doing at the moment.  My biggest hope is that this blog will (and should!) last longer than my previous ones ! Enjoy and please do give any feedback or comment on what should I write next!  Cheers to a fun, fab, and fit 2018!